Friday, July 27, 2012

Grand Canyon Vacation Wrap-Up

So, yesterday Richard and I arrived at Logan Airport right on time. Both flights were a bit turbulent but I've learned to ignore this. There isn't much you can do about it when you're up there so no sense getting nervous. Richard said he didn't like the taking off part all that much as the plane gets really noisy and seems to take too long to lift off; he was afraid of it hitting something on the ground. But even with this slight fear, he liked to look out the window throughout the trip.

Yesterday was kind of a lost day. I was still tired and worn out from being up all night on the plane. I did nap but we all know that is no replacement for a good night's sleep. Richard slept most of both flights, and he is much younger, so I don't think he had any lasting ill-effects.

I have to say that this vacation is on par with my Greek vacation taken last October. I had such an awesome time with Richard exploring the Southwest. (BTW, I need to start calling him Richie as he prefers this over Richard which I was not aware of before vacation.) If I had to do it over, I might only change a couple of things. I might have tried to stay closer to the Grand Canyon. Although Flagstaff is only about 75 miles from the Southern Rim, it seemed awfully long after a day of hiking or walking the paved rim trail. It was also extremely far from Page, AZ where we took the mild water raft trip and the Hummer adventure. I opted for 2 nights in Las Vegas at the beginning of the trip. I think 1 night on either side would have been an acceptable compromise. I, personally, need the lights, sounds and chaos of Las Vegas in small doses.  I also wanted to go kayaking (as did Richard) but we just ran out of time. The areas we went to visit were so far apart, we spent a lot of time in the car. I might be more careful next time on putting too much into one week.

I was so happy that we got to the Pawn Stars shop in old Las Vegas. I could tell Richard was so-o-o-o excited about seeing this. It was one of the few places he requested I take his picture and where he asked to take my camera and take a few of his own.

When I go back, I may plan on the majority of time at the Grand Canyon itself. We did a six mile hike, 3 down and 3 up, but I would love to do the 18 mile hike, 9 down and 9 up. I would also like to start hiking at sunrise. The rim trail is fabulous but we only saw a tiny portion of this. Next time, a lot more of both the paved and unpaved rim trail will be in my wake. On our way to Page, I saw some of the North Rim. This is an area most tourists don't make time for, and neither had I, it was basically on the way so I was able to stop.I probably wouldn't do the mild water trip again unless I am with Kameron when he is older. Everyone should do this at least once, it is so beautiful, peaceful and educational.

I was very disappointed that the day we made it to the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest that the weather was cold, windy and rainy. We were okay at the beginning, althought the cloud cover did little to hightlight the colors, but the park has a 24 mile roadway. Ten miles is in the Painted Desert portion and the remainder in the Petrified Forest. We drove a long way and were not able to truly enjoy the color and archeaological history we could have in nicer weather. Not only that, it was an extremely long ride and we needed to get up the next day at 4am for Page. This being said, we can't complain about the weather as it is their 'monsoon season' and this was the only lousy day we encountered.

I highly recommend visiting Zion National Park. Donna C wrote that you can't take a bad picture there...and it is so true. Stunning landscape surrounds you. Also, the park's shuttle system is top-notch. Buses (free) ran every 5 or 6 minutes taking you to 10 scenic spots along the canyon. I can't praise the system enough. It was a wonderful experience. I'm also told I should have make time for Bryce...but time was a precious commodity so I'll try to do this next time.

I liked Sedona but I'm not sure it is an interesting place for kids or teens. I called it the North Conway of the desert; new age shops, restaurants, brilliant landscape surrounding the center. A wonderful place for relaxation, a glass of wine, nice dinner and enjoying what must be unforgettable sunsets and sun rises. Getting there, driving south of 89 through Oak Creek Canyon, was also a feast for the eyes.

What can I say about our hike down the Bright Angel trail? I was in my element. I could have kept going but time was of the essence. I have never been on such a beautiful, gratifying hike in all the times I've hiked. Richard was a trooper, putting up with my photo stops along the way, finding shelter for us in the midst of a hailstorm and making friends with the squirrels of the canyon. One guy said they are considered Canyon Rats...but much cuter! Definitely a do-over for the next time.

We managed to stay for one sunset. Where you could see it, the colors in the canyon were brilliant, but we were maybe at the wrong angle to see it really well. I got some evidence of  how the setting sun dances off the walls in all its splendor, but it was only an appetizer. Next time, I will get the full course! Everyone should see a sunrise and/or sunset at the Grand Canyon, there is nothing like it.

The Hummer adventure was cool, Richard really liked this and I have never seen or heard him talk so much to another adult! He was very animated, asked many questions and seemed to get right into the experience. We learned much from the guide about the land we were on, the government deal that gave it to the Manson family, a Navajo family that owned the land Page AZ is now situated on, and the Secret Slot Canyon we visited. Nobody knew it was there until the early 1900s. Our guide was good enough to get a photo of the nesting Black Widow Spider in the canyon, something I may never see again.

On both our trips across Route 40, we spent some time on Route 66. This was a fun side trip. I had never been on this road of Americana before. We stopped at Seligman on the way back and I got some fun photos and a few souveneirs. On the way to Flagstaff we were on the Rt 66 so that we could visit the Grand Canyon Caverns, one of only 4 dry caverns in the country. The establishment looks a bit tacky, touristy and made me a bit wary...but there was no need to have any hesitation. It was affordable, very interesting and a good stop. Richard really liked this also. It was scientifically educational also, though not sure how much will be retained.

All in all, it was an exceptional vacation with one of my favorite grandsons. We talked, joked around, laughed, bonded and had some new experiences which I know I will cherish for many, many years...and I hope Richard will also.

Now, to go through all those photos!

The End :(









2 comments:

  1. Susan and "Richie" - what an incredible adventure the two of you had. While reading this summation of your trip I felt like I was there with you! I want to go, now! Can't wait to see all the photos and hear more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure for the two of you. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing about your trip all over again. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete